MinibarRx™ Announces SMART, Affordable Solution for Vaccine Management
Press Release: MinibarRx
May 23, 2016
Gaithersburg, MD — MinibarRx announces the limited launch of its dedicated SMART refrigeration system for vaccines and biologics, offering healthcare providers an affordable, cost-saving solution to the challenges commonly associated with storage and handling.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) (2015), “Vaccination is among the most significant public health success stories of all time” (p. 47). And as every provider knows, a successful vaccine program depends on safe storage and handling. As the CDC (2015) points out, “It is better to not vaccinate than to administer a dose of vaccine that has been mishandled” (p. 63).
MinibarRx is a fully automated pharmaceutical-grade refrigeration system, purpose-built with SMART technologies to eliminate the financial and logistical barriers inherent in today’s injectables delivery model.
“The use of biologic agents is becoming more common and more complex, with increasingly stringent criteria for storage,” said MinibarRx CEO Jeff Ulanet. “MinibarRx provides an affordable, customizable, worry-free solution that contains the products a medical practice needs, while also reducing inventory loss rates.”
MinibarRx offers a monthly subscription plan that features a full suite of web-connected SMART tools. With one complete SMART platform, MinibarRx:
- Protects inventory across the cold chain—from manufacturer distribution to point-of-use
- Secures inventory with PIN-based access; supports remote access to historical data monitoring
- Manages ordering and inventory control and provides instant dispense/inventory reports
- Monitors and logs temperature 24/7/365 to maintain optimal product storage conditions
- Provides automated back-up power to the unit in the event of an outage
- Employs an always-on alarm system with multiple notification modes to facilitate corrective action and reduce inventory loss due to unexpected events
- Delivers real-time alerts for inventory depletion, product expiration, temperature fluctuation, power failure, battery back-up activation, and other causes of concern
- Auto-synchronizes with major EMRs to seamlessly update patient records, including manufacturer, expiration, and lot number as well as to whom and when vaccine is dispensed
Inventory management and documentation of storage compliance can be costly and cumbersome. Yet all providers want to ensure the availability of the right vaccine for the right patient at the right time. With this in mind, MinibarRx meets the strictest standards for vaccine and biologics best practices to deliver peace of mind to providers as well as to the patients they serve.
MinibarRX is available immediately in the Mid-Atlantic region, with the remainder of the U.S. to launch over the next 6–9 months, and overseas in 2017. MinibarRX is brought to you by Minibar Systems, the world’s largest manufacturer of SMART refrigerators serving over 50 countries.
Reference: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Epidemiology and Prevention of Vaccine-Preventable Diseases. Hamborsky J, Kroger A, Wolfe S, eds. 13th ed. Washington D.C. Public Health Foundation, 2015.